Monday, June 15, 2009

The final of the 3-part devotion

Today, we will conclude our 3-part devotion.

A little re-cap of the first two: part 1 I talked about where are we looking? Where is our focus? We need to have a hunger for God and part 2 I talked about We should be going to youth group not only because of friends (or whatever reason) but because we want to know more about Jesus so that we can be doing for Him.

Today I want to talk about Verse 3 of Colossians which says: “For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God”. Or this version: “For as far as this world is concerned you have died. And your (new, real) life is hidden with Christ in God”. I have been talking about an article of this girl that was going to youth group for the wrong reasons and when her youth pastor preached on this passage (Colossians 3:1-3) at a youth camp that she decided to go because she and her “best” friend was not getting along (this was the reason that she went to youth group). That’s when she realized that she was missing out on Christ.

These are some of her words that she was thinking: “I felt totally convicted. I didn't have a hunger for God. I was totally focused on earthly things. Thinking back to my relationship with Jaimee, I realized I had a tendency to make my friends into idols. I had often let them take the place of God in my life. During a morning devotional time, I stepped into a canoe with only my Bible, a journal, and a pen. I paddled a good distance away from shore and soaked in the stillness.

The lake was calm and the morning breeze cool as I started thinking and praying. I opened my journal and wrote a prayer: Lord, I've learned I can't depend on people. I can only depend on you. I confess that I've idolized friendships and I want to change. Forgive me for my sins, and help me to walk with you and put you first.

Well in Vs. 3 “The passage says you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. Is that you? Have you died to yourself? You'll know by how much you hunger for God."

Well she left that camp with a new hunger for God that she was just pretending to know.

So my question to you is this do you hunger for God? Have you died to yourself? My prayer for you as we close is that you will spend time alone with God and to ask Him to put that desire and hunger in you so that you will be able to share with your friends what Jesus Christ is all about.

I hope that you have enjoyed this devotion. I would like for you to comment on this and if you would like to see more of these please let me know as well. God Bless and go MAD
(Make A Difference)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice signature, mad i like it im gonna put it on my lisences plate when im older


gabi s